Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Two More Promising Albums

Here are another couple two that I forgot last night. I've only taken one spin through each, but was impressed with what I heard.

Vintersorg - Jordpuls

Although he's so Scandinavian that he probably bathes in pickled herring every morning, this Swede actually makes good music. I've not listened to a Vintersorg album since 2002's Tales From the Spiral Generator, where his ridiculous accent made me think he was singing about a flying potato, but I enjoy several of the other bands that he's involved in. Since Jordpuls is sung completely in Swedish, it doesn't have the problem that Spiral had, and the music is quite dynamic and compelling. Whether I'll be able to put up with his ridiculous voice for another 7 months is another question, so this one may not last the year.


Arch Enemy - Khaos Legions

Khaos Legions is a pretty stupid name for an album, but the music sounds like pure Arch Enemy. It's melodic yet fierce, and Angela Gossow's vocal talents have certainly developed since she joined the band in 2000. I've only heard the album once, and it didn't grab me as much as their last release, 2007's Rise of the Tyrant, but it's immediately apparent that Legions is superior to Doomsday Machine or Anthems of Rebellion, so perhaps a closer listen will elevate this one the notch or two it needs to really be something special. Even if it doesn't, though, it's a quality release from Arch Enemy, and certainly better than Children of Bodom's 2011 release.

No comments:

Post a Comment